Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Would you want your future to be decided by others? Why or Why not?

I think I would never want my future to be decided by others because it is not fair to have your job controlled by others because you might have choices or jobs that you might want to do. Like for example take Jonas. Jonas has his choices and likings and disliking for his job but if the job is chosen by the community then he might or might not like it. If your future is decided by others you can’t have your likings/disliking or any choices. Just imagine doing a job that you never like. For example, Jonas in chapters 13-18 does not like his job at all because having the pain of memories gives him pain and so he just doesn't like it. So, to me I believe that I should choose my own job because it is my job and my business not someone else’s.

I would never like my future to be decided by others because all my choices would be gone. I would be choiceless in my life. I like the quote “There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.” The quote is for the most part irrelevant in the community of The Giver because they don't have any choices in their community. But the quote It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.” is relevant in the community. I think I should make most of my choices.

As an American, freedom is instilled in me. I can’t imagine not being able to decide my future. I can’t imagine not being able to decide what college I want to go to, I can’t imagine not being able to decide what my career is going to be. I strongly believe that I should make me choices in my life because I don't live forever so I want to do what I want. This is why I want to make my own decisions in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment